The name of this organization shall be the Residential Living Association of SpiriTrust Lutheran, The Village at Gettysburg.
The purpose of this organization shall be:
- The Residential Living Association shall serve to represent residents of the cottages and apartments in matters related to the policy and operation of SpiriTrust Lutheran, The Village at Gettysburg.
- The Residential Living Association shall serve as a means by which dialogue shall be maintained between the residents of the cottages and apartments and administration.
- The Residential Living Association shall serve as an organization to offer social, educational and cultural opportunities to its members.
- The Residential Living Association shall serve as a support group for its members in need or in difficult times.
The Residential Living Association shall be comprised of all residents of the cottages and apartments of SpiriTrust Lutheran, The Village at Gettysburg.
- The Residential Living Association shall elect according to the by-laws, a nine (9) member council which will serve as a working arm of the Residential Living Association and shall derive any and all of its powers from the Residential Living Association at-large.
- The Residential Living Association shall meet quarterly at dates and times to be announced at the preceding meeting or by written notification to each member no less than fifteen (15) days in advance.
- The annual meeting and election of council members shall be held each year in July at a date and time to be announced no later than June 1st.
- The President or the Vice President of the Residential Living Association Council shall serve as the convener(s) of all Residential Living Association meetings.
- Minutes of all Council and Residential Living Association meetings shall be forwarded to the Executive Director of SpiriTrust Lutheran, The Village at Gettysburg and to Council Members for corrections/additions in advance of the next meeting. Once minutes have been corrected and approved copies will be provided to all Residential Living Association members.
- The Council President or Vice President shall serve as the liaison between the Residential Living Association and its council and the Administration.
- Nothing in this constitution or its by-laws shall be contrary to the policy of the Board of Directors of SpiriTrust Lutheran or in opposition to the rules and regulations of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
This constitution may be amended at a regular meeting of the Residential Living Association upon a 2/3 vote of members present, if written notice of the amendment as proposed, is given to each member at least thirty (30) days in advance.
- The Residential Living Association council members are elected at the annual meeting as called for in Article IV, Section I of the Constitution.
- The officers – President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer are elected for a one-year term and must have served at least one year on the Council before being elected as an officer. They may be re-elected for a second term.
- Council members are elected for a three (3) year term. The Residential Living Council shall total nine (9) members. Each year three (3) members retire and three (3) members are elected.
- Members of the Residential Living Association Council may not succeed themselves.
- If a vacancy occurs on the Council, the President shall appoint an interim member to complete the term until the Residential Living Association annual election meeting.
- The Association meetings are held in accordance with Article IV: numbers 2 and 3 of the Constitution.
- Meetings of the Residential Living Association Council shall be open to the membership-at-large, but Association members may have voice but no vote. Non Council members must be granted the time to speak prior to meeting opening.
- Special meetings of the Residential Living Association may be called by written petition from at least ten (10) members of the Association with at least seven (7) days written notice given to every member.
- Special meetings of the Council may be called by the President with each member of the Council being given at least twenty-four (24) hour notice of the special meeting and the purpose of the meeting stated at the time notice is given.
Standing and special committees shall be appointed by the Residential Living Council from time to time as deemed necessary. Committee members shall only vote on Council matters if they are currently serving a term on the Residential Living Council.
- Each year the Residential Living Council will establish a Nominating Committee consisting of three (3) members, one shall be a Council member, and two (2) shall be appointed by the Council from the general membership of the Residential Living Association. Their purpose shall be to nominate new council members. The slate of nominees will be presented for a vote at the annual Association meeting. Nominations will also be requested and received from the floor. Consent of the nominee must be obtained before they are nominated.
- The newly elected council shall assume their responsibilities upon election by the Residential Living Association members at the annual July meeting.
- A simply majority of those members present at the Annual Meeting, is sufficient to elect members to the Residential Living Council. A counted show of hands in the affirmative or a written ballot may be presented for the vote.
- A quorum for meetings of the Residential Living Association shall be forty percent (40%) of the membership attending the meeting.
- A majority of the members of Council present shall comprise a quorum on Council votes.
These by-laws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Residential Living Association upon a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present so long as the request for the amendment has been given in writing to each member at least thirty (30) days in advance.
In the event that a member of the Residential Council misses three consecutive monthly Council meetings without being excused, that member’s term will be ended and a replacement will be sought to finish out that member’s term.
Original: 07/85. Revised: 07/88, 04/98, 01/03, 04/04, 10/10, 10/13, 04/15, 08/16, 09/16, 07/85, 07/88, 04/98, 01/03, 04/04, 10/10, 10/13, 04/15, 08/16, 09/16
2017-2018 Residential Living Council
Carl Barrick, President
Martha Winch, Vice President
Matts Orndorff, Treasurer
Lauraday Kelley, Secretary